Thursday, January 25, 2024

Second Burroughs July 2023

After escaping the western states' heat dome at the tail end of our vacation, we arrived home to the only place relatively unaffected by the sweltering temperatures dominating the region.  Having an extra couple of days before going back to work, I was determined to get up to Sunrise because I really wanted to see some goats.  I hadn't seen any hiking this year so far, and I have a sentimental spot for Paradise as it was the first place I ever saw mountains goats when we moved to Washington back in 2009.  So, with Shaun agreeing to stay with Birch, I rose early and arrived to the parking lot around 5:20 am, just as the sun was beginning to rise.  It was shocking how many people were up there that early.  The first 200 yards of the Sourdough Ridge trail were chock full of people, families and non-hikers, mostly.  Eager to leave them and their noise behind, I stopped only briefly to take in the vibrant alpenglow on Rainier before reaching the ridge and enjoying views of the northern cascades and the plethora of layers in the foreground.  I passed a few people on the way to Frozen Lake, likely people who had hiked up in the dark to Fremont Lookout to watch the sunrise.  It's a beautiful spot, but it has long since lost its lustre for me.  Increasing population and social media have turned it into a zoo of influencers.  No thanks.  Taking the left at the junction of three trails, I began the steep ascent up to First Burroughs where the terrain moves from subalpine to alpine tundra with sweeping views of the cascades and Rainier itself.  I saw a couple of women who were descending, and they reported seeing a small herd of goats just up the way.  They had that blissed out look I know well, having spent some nights under the stars at Burroughs.  As the trail reached a forked junction, an expansive view offers a great opportunity to survey for wildlife.  None immediately spotted, but on a hunch, I hung a left dropping down toward Sunrise Camp and Shadow Lake for a ways to see if I could spot any goats.  Only a few yards on the trail, I saw a mother and an older kid ascending upward toward the horizon, now fully illuminated by daylight, punctuated by infinite mountain layers in the background.  Using a zoom lens and giving them space, I admired the light reflecting from their snow-colored backs and noticed the tufts of winter fur clinging to their bodies, not quite ready to embrace summertime.  

Alpenglow on Rainier

Beginning to leave the masses behind

Goodbye loud people

So many layers

Goats cresting the ridge

Undisturbed, the way wildlife should be

Almost out of view

As the pair moved out of photographic range, I headed back to the Burroughs trail and continued up the next ascent toward the rocky vista of Second Burroughs.  Two people were leaving as I arrived, pushing onward toward Third, which I did not feel like undertaking this day. Been there, done that, and the last ascent feels like such a slog and takes forever.  I snapped a few pics and surveyed the white dogs on the adjacent hillside, spotting three goats.  Shortly after, a young guy arrived, and we got to chatting.  He recently moved to Washington from (yep) California, and this was his first hike up at Sunrise.  Found out we had more in common than simply transplant status, he is also a Physical Therapist.  We chatted about that for a bit more before he decided to head back to the visitor center and undertake another hike in the area.  I soaked in the scenery for a bit more before departing myself, wanting to get back to the lot before the hoards arrived and make passing on the trail more difficult.  My timing was just a bit off for that, but it was perfect for some other things.  Descending the trail from First Burroughs, I spied two goats moving along the rocky shale below, and I watched them a while, pointing them out to a couple from Texas and taking a few photos of them deftly negotiating the complex terrain. They were possibly the two I saw on the ascent, but hard to gauge the size to determine for sure.  Once descended, approaching Frozen Lake (and paused for appreciation of my decision to never go to Fremont again- had to have been at least 200 people going that way), I saw a black red fox right on the trail, just moseying along.  I am happy to report, all hikers gave it space and did not harass or try to feed it.  It moved on and off trail, unbothered by people who continued to leave it alone.  I snapped a few photos as it scratched in the warm, morning sun before making its way off trail and down into a small gulley that funnels down to the valley.  I passed hundreds of people on my way out, most friendly and at least somewhat prepared.  I paused to look down on the valley in the direction of the fox and saw one last mountain goat, its white body an obvious contrast to the verdant foliage.  Reaching the car, I enjoyed my now-thawed Snickers and a red Gatorade on the drive home.   

These two were tough to spot at first

Skilled in their mountain environment

Itchy fox

Goodbye!  I won't follow you, go do fox things

One last look with a goat in the bottom right corner, a deer as well

 

No comments:

Post a Comment